The mission of the U.S.-Iraq Business Initiative is to increase members’ access to Iraqi markets, help expand investment opportunities, and promote dialogue and access to decision makers in the United States, the Government of Iraq (GOI), and the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG). It also encompasses effective advocacy and business development programs throughout Iraq and the United States. The Initiative furthers its mission and members’ interest through an extensive array of programs, direct engagement with Iraqi and U.S. government officials and business leaders, and by distributing information and publications that detail Initiative activities, objectives, and commercial studies.
- Supporting efforts to combat corruption and increase transparency
- Creating additional financing mechanisms
- Pursuing consistent implementation of commercial regulations
- Improving the process to obtain entry visas
- Supporting efforts to apply uniform and transparent procurement processes
- Streamlining the business registration process
Market Access and Impact
- High Profile Events – By hosting high-profile events in Washington, D.C., and Iraq, the Initiative provides the policy community and private sector current information and insights into the political and economic climate in Iraq. Events offer decision makers updates on the policies and legislation of foreign government ministries as well as in-person opportunities to network with leaders from the GOI and KRG.
- Policy Forums – The Initiative conducts a series of policy forums that provides news, information, analysis, and resources on sector-specific issues relevant to companies operating in Iraq. The forums provide leading experts a platform to exchange views and best practices for the policy community and private sector at-large.
- Trade Missions – The Initiative organizes coordinated business delegations overseas for a group of senior private sector representatives to meet potential buyers, find local partners, meet with government ministries and provincial leaders, and interact with Iraqi government regulators and decisions makers.
- Networking and Business Matchmaking Services – The Initiative organizes a series of events, meetings, roundtables, and conferences that bring together a wide-array of stakeholders in the U.S. and Iraqi governments and the private sector where companies can pursue opportunities in procurement projects, identify potential business partners and develop relationships critical to doing business in Iraq. It also helps American companies find Iraqi companies through introductions and one-on-one meetings.